what are you thoughts on this (wearable 6th sense)

A place to say what you want.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

what are you thoughts on this (wearable 6th sense)

Post by $lmjimy311 »

its cool as shit, in my opinion. pretty damn revolutionary. and the fact that its not too expensive makes it even more appealing. i for one would be hundred percent down to get this if it ever hit the market.

though i can see some major flaws...mainly privacy concerning the whole it being able to tell what a person is and does
:evil5: TB>BB
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Re: what are you thoughts on this (wearable 6th sense)

Post by Element »

technology is going to be so fucking ill in like 20 years
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Syfy.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

isnt this from last year's conference?

regardless it seems creepy now but once it hits mainstream (and it wont in that projection form), it'll all seem natural. look at iphones/storms/android/winmo phones with their customizable apps.. its just natural progression. if you're worried about privacy, don't worry too much, its already gone. especially when you're on things like facebook where all your information becomes public.

i think it'll also run along the same lines as wikipedia, its suuuuuuuuuper useful but you cant trust absolutely everything it says. which i'm okay with.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

You just like it cuz it's invented by an Indian guy

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Jordan311 wrote:You just like it cuz it's invented by an Indian guy

Later
:oops:
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

Seriously though if you really think this shit is cool or don't think it would work, check out that book I mentioned. Most of the plot is based around pretty much exactly this kind of technology. Won the Hugo for best novel in 07.

[quote="Amazon"]
Set in San Diego, Calif., this hard SF novel from Hugo-winner Vinge (A Deepness in the Sky) offers dazzling computer technology but lacks dramatic tension. Circa 2025, people use high-tech contact lenses to interface with computers in their clothes. "Silent messaging" is so automatic that it feels like telepathy. Robert Gu, a talented Chinese-American poet, has missed much of this revolution due to Alzheimer's, but now the wonders of modern medicine have rehabilitated his mind. Installed in remedial classes at the local high school, he tries to adjust to this brave new world, but soon finds himself enmeshed in a somewhat quixotic plot by elderly former University of California
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

ska wrote:I think TED is an awesome (albeit a little scary) idea. Matter of fact I was telling my wife about the video this morning before work.

This is the first I've ever heard of this. Thanks for sharing, Jimy.

TED is the name of the conference :oops:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

no problemo ska
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

fatlip wrote:isnt this from last year's conference?

regardless it seems creepy now but once it hits mainstream (and it wont in that projection form), it'll all seem natural. look at iphones/storms/android/winmo phones with their customizable apps.. its just natural progression. if you're worried about privacy, don't worry too much, its already gone. especially when you're on things like facebook where all your information becomes public.

i think it'll also run along the same lines as wikipedia, its suuuuuuuuuper useful but you cant trust absolutely everything it says. which i'm okay with.
i think its from this years. and if it doenst come out in projection form i think it kind of defeats some of their purpose
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

glasses
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

TED is hands down one of my favorite sites. So many great speakers and ideas at your fingertips. Peep Bonnie Bassler's talk on bacteria communication, the two Robert Full videos, and (ugh) any Ray Kurzwiel talk on there. Malcolm Gladwell is a bad ass, too.

I'm pretty sure this video is from last year's conference being that I saw it (6?) months ago. It seems like they wait a little while after the conference before releasing all the videos (or even some). Regardless, this kind of technology is certainly frightening, but the potential for good from this device is incredible.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

video came on youtube in march sometime

and glasses...good point. but i think more the camera would be placed there. i still think it you need projection to do more of the interactive things, like allow you to dial on your hand and show people pictures....what if the projector was built into the glasses....woa
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

$lmjimy311 wrote:video came on youtube in march sometime
Sorry, 5 months.
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

Contact Lenses yo. Projections can be formed anywhere you look by just showing them on the lenses. One of the cooler things about that book that I mentioned was the way people could choose "Themes" for everything they saw. Like everything could have a jungle look to it, trees would be different, buildings could look more rudimentary. Huge databases could be instantly looked up and read on the fly while walking down the street, guides could be projected over something like say if you're building or fixing something. It's all pretty damn cool stuff and pretty feasible, more so than hoverboards or flying cars.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Sparticus wrote:Contact Lenses yo. Projections can be formed anywhere you look by just showing them on the lenses. One of the cooler things about that book that I mentioned was the way people could choose "Themes" for everything they saw. Like everything could have a jungle look to it, trees would be different, buildings could look more rudimentary. Huge databases could be instantly looked up and read on the fly while walking down the street, guides could be projected over something like say if you're building or fixing something. It's all pretty damn cool stuff and pretty feasible, more so than hoverboards or flying cars.

you'd have to have wires coming out of your eyes.. or batteries in there or some shit. glasses are probably most realistic.. even ones that completely blind you because it can show whatevers on teh camera (in real time) but with the HUD mixed in.. nothing beyond our current technology really.. just a matter of not making it look so damn goofy

speaking of goofy... really? they went with projection? if i saw some fucking dork playing with marker caps with a projector on his shirt i'd probably knock over whatever item he was looking at
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

Not necessarily. We're already the on the verge of having wireless battery charging, it already exists and works in some very rudimentary forms. Having a display that connects wirelessly(why isn't this a word) to computers somewhere on our body really wouldn't be that hard either.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

wireless stuff is sifi
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

oh and, i don't want to see dead people