Computer issue

A place to say what you want.
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Computer issue

Post by pnutwannabe »

I was on my laptop earlier browsing another forum I am a part of when I got a very quick blue screen of death then my computer shut off. When I restarted it, it froze half way to loading up. I tried to restart it again, but it won't load up. One other time I tried it, it did load up, but again only half way, getting frozen on my desktop. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it and how to fix it?

:evil5:
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Computer issue

Post by Element »

sounds like a harddrive crash to me
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

might not be a hard drive crash... are you running xp? did you try "restore settings that last worked?"

it could be a bunch of problems... the main problem is that system file are either corrupt or missing. that could be due to hard drive failure (unlikely, if its working).. it could be due to memory issues (most common)... or windows could have just fucked up. try doing a "use last settings..." boot by pressing F8 right before the windows screen comes up and select that option. if that doesnt work... download an iso for Memtest86+ and let it run overnight.. it'll tell you if its your memory.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

unplug it for a few minutes
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

$ayzak wrote:unplug it for a few minutes
It sounds like you got that from a computer troubleshooting handbook for the elderly
wrjones311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wrjones311 »

This probably isn't it since you got out of the boot screens, but if I have my Ipod plugged in when I try to restart it after a blue screen, I can't even get to the log in, it just stops on a blank page with a "\" on it. I have to unplug my Ipod first to get it to boot.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

Shiny wrote:
It sounds like you got that from a computer troubleshooting handbook for the elderly
Every time I think my computer is toast, that is the remedy.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

wrjones311 wrote:This probably isn't it since you got out of the boot screens, but if I have my Ipod plugged in when I try to restart it after a blue screen, I can't even get to the log in, it just stops on a blank page with a "\" on it. I have to unplug my Ipod first to get it to boot.

static charge buildup in the usb ports
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

also, try booting with an xp disc, choose R for repair, once you get to a comand prompt (ie: c:\) type chkdsk /r reboot and pray
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

wrjones311 wrote:This probably isn't it since you got out of the boot screens, but if I have my Ipod plugged in when I try to restart it after a blue screen, I can't even get to the log in, it just stops on a blank page with a "\" on it. I have to unplug my Ipod first to get it to boot.
USBd failure.
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

The problem is that no screen loads up for me. I turn it on but nothing happens. The lights go on, but no screen. I think I'm just going to have to get a new laptop because this one shit the bed.

ATLantaStylee
We go on like it ain't no thing

Post by ATLantaStylee »

Shiny wrote:
I literally LOLed! :D

But PNUt, is the screen showing any sign of a picture? like a slightly lighter shade of black when it comes on? If not, try hooking it to a regular monitor and see if anything is displayed before you use it for a waffle iron or something.
Bobby, You be quiet out there.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

Shiny wrote:
that actually works sometimes.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

ATLantaStylee wrote:
Shiny wrote:
I literally LOLed! :D

But PNUt, is the screen showing any sign of a picture? like a slightly lighter shade of black when it comes on? If not, try hooking it to a regular monitor and see if anything is displayed before you use it for a waffle iron or something.

yeah and if you just end up with a blinking dash or some shit -- try swapping out the memory
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

Even hooking it up to a regular monitor nothing comes up. It turns on, but no screen. Not even a change to a lighter black. The hard drive works still, so I'm just going to take that out to save it and buy a new laptop. Thank you very much for all your help guys. It was well appreciated.